Tornado Safe Room Procedures
Magazine School District in partnership with Federal Emergency Management Agency
(FEMA) is fortunate to have a constructed a Safe Room. They are designed and
constructed to withstand the pressures of 200 mile-per-hour tornadic winds. Safe Room
doors will be unlocked at the first Tornado Warning siren. Safe Room doors Do
Not open until that time.
Safe Room Procedures
- Safe Room doors will be unlocked with the first “Tornado Warning” siren.
- Safe Room will close when “Tornado Warning” expires. All occupants should leave at that time.
- Safe Room will accommodate pets contained within airline approved pet carriers.
- Safe Room and school campuses are tobacco-free facilities per Arkansas law.
- Safe Room doors are to remain closed at all times.
- Radios or music devices may be used only with individual earphones.
- Locker rooms, offices, and closets are not part of the safe room and not constructed to withstand a tornado. Individuals will not be allowed to shelter in those areas.
During the COVID Pandemic
- Every person is required to wear a face covering completely over the mouth and nose.
- Social Distancing from non-household members of six (6) feet or more is encouraged.
- Students, school faculty and staff have priority during the school day.
- During severe weather after school hours the Safe Room is available for community shelter.
- Safe Room is not stocked with food, cots, pillows or blankets.
- Safe Room is stocked with a first aid kit and 20 or fewer chairs for the elderly and/or physically challenged.
- Designated personnel will close the facility when the Tornado Warning has expired.