4.12A8 – FORMAL DRESS CODE GUIDELINES*
The staff and administration at J. D. Leftwich High School want you to make good choices. We are not trying to inhibit your style. Dances should be fun, but we want everyone to be comfortable and safe. With modesty in mind, the following dress code guidelines will be enforced at J.D. Leftwich High School.
1. Dresses may not be cut below the bust line. The bust continues around your sides directly under the armpit. With arms down at your side, if flesh touches flesh below the bust line the dress is inappropriate.
2. Dresses may be backless as long as they are not cut below the navel. Bust must be covered even on sides of dresses.
3. Midriffs will not be exposed. This includes both front and side. With arms down at your side, if flesh touches flesh in the midriff section the dress is inappropriate.
4. Dresses must be at least mid-thigh in length.
5. Dresses may not have a slit that exceeds mid-thigh. This is generally fingertip length.
6. No pinning will be allowed as an alteration for a dress if without the pins the dress does not meet dress code. Fabric inserts must be sewn not pinned on the dress if without the inserts the dress does not meet dress code. No cover-ups (coats, shawls, sweaters) will be allowed over dresses that do not meet dress code.
7. Dress for pictures taken at the dance must also meet dress code. You may not wear an inappropriate dress to take pictures and then change into one that does meet dress code for the dance.
8. For gentlemen:
- No holes in pants
- No sagging
- Tux or suit is acceptable
- Collared shirt
While we will be reasonable in our interpretation of these guidelines, we want you to know that you will not be allowed into the dance if you are dressed inappropriately. Most importantly, this dress code does not limit your ability to show your style and uniqueness.